- The highlight of last week was definitely Fed Chair Powell's speech which cemented expectations that the Fed will move away from the 75bp hikes pursued at the last four meetings in favour of a slower 50bp pace.
- Relief also came from the Euro Area flash estimate CPI that fell to +10.0% in November, below the +10.4% reading expected and down from a record +10.6% in October. It marked the first time in over a year that Euro Area inflation slowed relative to the previous months. Inflation decelerated in 14 of the 19 member states.
- China’s Vice Premier Sun Chunlan commented that “As the omicron variant becomes less pathogenic, more people get vaccinated and our experience in Covid prevention accumulates, our fight against the pandemic is at a new stage and it comes with new tasks”, in another signal that China's zero-Covid policy may be gradually phased out.
- Major equity indexes ended the week higher, with the S&P500 breaking above its 200-days moving average and the EuroStoxx50 trading above the level prevailing before the war in Ukraine.
- Treasury yields rallied capping a strong month for the Treasury market, which saw yields drop close to 50bps across the curve.
- The November US jobs report was stronger than expected, with job growth showing no signs of slowing and wage growth accelerating.
May 4, 2023Bilboard
BILBoard May 2023 – Getting defensive
Lingering inflation is keeping major central banks in a tightening mode, even as macro headwinds gather. Expecting a choppy investment landscape in the coming quarters,...
May 4, 2023News
What does the advent of Generative AI...
Generative AI chatbots are just the tip of the iceberg. We are on the brink of an explosion of creative and innovative uses of AI...
April 28, 2023News
US GDP Growth: Q1 2023
The US economy slowed sharply in the first quarter of 2023 as the Federal Reserve pushed ahead with its historic monetary tightening campaign. Preliminary...
April 26, 2023Focus
The Eurozone’s Wage Conundrum
The Eurozone, like many other jurisdictions, has undergone an inflationary shock, resulting in declining real wages. As workers try to recoup lost income, the risk...